Hanscom Park Neighborhood
Fifty acres known as Hanscom Park were donated to the city in 1872 by James Megeath and Andrew Hanscom. In 1889 the City’s Park Commission hired a landscape architect to improve the rough terrain. The results included two lakes, fountains, numerous flower beds, roadways and a magnificent growth of trees. Many of these design elements remain in place today—along with numerous other amenities.
In the 1890’s, the area around Hanscom Park became a rapidly developing, upscale subdivision. Well-to-do citizens looking for a quiet neighborhood with a beautiful green space and easy access to the downtown area were smitten with Hanscom Park and the electric trolley connecting it to the city’s hub. Churches were built as were palatial and more modest homes. One of the mansions was the birthplace of President Gerald R. Ford. Today the Gerald R. Ford Birthsite and Gardens celebrate this location.
The Hanscom Park Neighborhood Association can be given much credit for the vibrancy of this thriving neighborhood. This hard-working group is active on many fronts--uniting neighbors, writing grants, and promoting a clean and beautiful appearance for the area.
Hanscom Park Neighborhood Association: http://hpnaomaha.org/